Finding Female Ancestors
As genealogists most of us have stone walls: are any time, destination or location. There isn’t any one solution for re re re solving a dead end up in our lineage. Every issue has to be approached differently. Because many documents in many places and cycles are focused around males, we quite often have actually just a name that is first of spouse, or frequently, no title after all. We simply understand she had been the spouse of Thomas Jones. To resolve this type of dilemma we should figure out the time, location and circumstances in accordance with our female ancestor. We should lay the groundwork for attacking the difficulty in a way that is special.
Probably the many way that is straightforward strike such a challenge is create a schedule of her life. Collect all given information understood about her. If you don’t much is well known, give attention to her spouse. Where had been they whenever, from wedding as well as delivery, towards the time that they had kids, into the close of the everyday lives.
1. Try to find the wedding record it self. Discover the marriage record that is original. The wedding licence or application could be more valuable compared to the initial. In the event that you can’t get the marriage, look for it in surrounding areas, or check always different marriage indexes.
2. Always check all feasible documents on spouse to have clues to simply help determine who she ended up being.
3. If ancestor fought within the military, check retirement papers for the widow. Military retirement Papers valuable, specially if spouse outlived spouse. Best for Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A female had to show that she ended up being legal wife and widow of soldier. Rejected Pension Applications real asian teen usually contain much more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or any other court documents might provide wife’s name that is first and on occasion even her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining maiden title. They are maybe maybe perhaps not helpful in big urban centers or if perhaps the grouped family rented. If guy passed away without having a will, their estate that is real had be split among heirs. Included all kids, also daughters with married names. See them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Public Records Test.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself accountable of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in every the documents associated with area. Learn other families, particularly her husband’s family members, their occupation, socio-economic status, etc. Did husband go usually, or result from a well-established group of the location? Did he cope with individuals of other surnames? He might been employed by together with his wife’s daddy, so discover with who he’d company transactions. Whom did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t simply concentrate on the partners. Broaden your research. Exactly What occurred towards the young ones? Maybe another descendant has information.
6. Trace the household in every feasible census returns. US or Canadian censuses, specially 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sis hitched in nj-new jersey, so check always N.J. and you also will dsicover their wedding here too. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 will get access to most returns that are census line. 1940 or later on can be had for the charge.
Uk census 1911, 1921 can be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with household in census, may be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Always check papers that are private your personal household documents and records, household Bibles, etc.
8. The wedding may well not have already been recorded anywhere that endures, particularly if in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Also a married relationship in brand New England may well not endure.
9. As soon as a female ended up being widowed, she became mind regarding the home. whenever she requires support as just one girl or perhaps a widow, that will she move to work as a surety in a relationship or witness to secure deal? She will probably head to her brothers or dad in your community. Names on appropriate documents coping with a widow might be her family members.
10. Sources to check on to discover her name:
a. Church documents
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS STATED EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST AN EYE ON FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. UNCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS CONCERNING THE IRISHES. SHE HAD A BIG PULPIT BIBLE WHICH REPORTED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY WAS CREATED 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It struggled to obtain David Dearborn, it might do the job. Seek family members and bibles on Internet, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, delivery, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Hitched at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of wedding for the right period of time). 24. Private Documents
d. Personal journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have actually records, MS or printed. Samplers – cross-stitch and needlepoint, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, delivery times, view of family members farm.
Banton Family (masonic rock symbols)
Samuel Banton (died, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (passed away and age)
e. Gravestones or cemetery documents. Took 30 years to discover the moms and dads also after discovered the death rock. Found descendants a few generations later on to obtain required information.
Esther spouse of William Barth passed away Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had already traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Rock stated, “Esther Barlow had three or four kiddies.”
f. Death certification of a female must have her maiden title on it, along with her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates need to have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates additionally could have her maiden name. Her children’s wedding documents also might have it. Civil or public record information, for example, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in Ca. Marital Reputation: Divorced. Searched divorces and discovered them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. His siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, spouse or family relations.
Brand Brand New Hampshire Star, Dover, N.H morning.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, spouse of Moses Anderson and youngest child of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. An infant was left by her child. (Death certificate will not provide some of this information. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: often give wife’s maiden name, or tell where as soon as hitched. May inform where from
i. Probate record of her dad or her brothers. You may have to read all wills when you look at the county to ascertain her title. Probates may be published, indexed and abstracted . brand brand New Hampshire has all wills published and abstracted having an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Posted or ready Indexes:
- IGI or FamilySearch.com
- FHL surname catalogue
- NEHGS or any other major libraries, regional towns, universities, etc.
- There are lots of CDs with marriages for the state or province
- United states Genealogical & Biographical Index (AGBI) has a huge selection of volumes. Indexes all names in 1790 census, includes all soldiers whom fought in Revolutionary War. Indexes countess county records, esp. Brand Brand New England. It really is at NEHGS.
- Every-name index to NEHGR – available on CD or posted. This quarterly published continuously since 1847. It really is a treasure trove of information.
- PERSI – index of journal articles from 19thC to the current. Can look for all entries of the surnames, yet not indiv >County histories, particularly Midwest – OH, IN, MI, IL, PA, NY areas. Called Midwest “mug books” by Vanity Press Publications. Information had been self-serving, flattered individuals to place your very own bio and picture of self, household or farm. Not necessarily accurate.
NEHGS has CD along with information within their number of bibles.
13. Other Sources to get maiden title:
- Transcribed or posted article or monograph in log in your surname.
- The thing that was faith? Don’t assume just like you may be today. RC, Protestant, Jewish, which branch?
- Variance in documents: Church record calls her Harriet Irish; civil enrollment calls her Sarah Irish.
There are lots of sources, documents and methodologies for finding a maiden title.
*Your ancestor would not appear away from nowhere. Possessed a full life and lived somewhere just before wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t disappear completely – they probably are now living in the area that is same.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we shall find name that is maiden. We look and appearance, look for recommendations and sources and techniques to approach a challenge.
*Look in the family that is whole all kiddies, siblings, of spouse. The partners might have hitched siblings of 1 another. Seek residing descendants, bibles, death certification of loved ones, to fix a maiden name problem.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 How to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s guide to Discovering Your ancestors that are femaleCincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to spot a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Records,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape
- Types of Finding a Wife’s Ma >Schaefer, Christina Kassabian, The concealed 50 % of the family members: A sourcebook for women’s genealogy (Baltimore:Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999)